The Kawartha Komets Special Needs Hockey Program, a registered, charitable organization with the Canada Revenue Agency, was launched in 2009 to give girls & boys, teens and adults with physical, emotional and/or neurodevelopmental challenges an opportunity to play the game they love...HOCKEY!
Young people with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, Tourette’s Syndrome, Down Syndrome and other challenges can enjoy playing non-contact hockey and build lasting relationships with others who share their love for hockey. The only requirement is that the player must be able to stand on skates.
The Kawartha Komets Special Needs Hockey Program offers:
- An organized, modified form of hockey to accommodate special needs for males and females of all ages
- Four teams with rosters determined by skill levels NOT age
- Weekly games or practices from late September to the end of March
- A safe, inclusive, accepting environment
- Equipment available when needed
- Special social outings/picnics/pool parties/hockey games
- Tournaments and trophies
- Funding sources are available (when needed)
- Qualified coaches with an understanding of the challenges our players face
- In-Service training for our staff
- Amazing, committed volunteers
For the 2019-2020 season the Komets has four teams, Senior, 2 Intermediate teams and Junior, based on ability levels...not on age. For the 2016-2017 season the Komets renamed our teams as follows: Juniors are now the SATURNS, the Intermediate 1 team is the GALAXY, Intermediate 2's are the METEORS and the Seniors are now called the PHOENIX.
We play the Durham Dragons, the Donaldson's Diamonds, the Newmarket Nighthawks, the Grandravine Tornadoes, the Brampton 45's, the Innisfil Snowdogs and the Kitchener Ice Pirates.
Please check out the links to their web sites on the sidebar to the right.
Our Kawartha Komets Board of Directors:
Past President - David Fisher
Vice President - Adam White
Treasurer - Joanne Haacke
Secretary - Simon Treviranus
Our Registered Charity # is 801414939 RR0001
The Kawartha Komets Special Needs Hockey Program is an incorporated not-for-profit organization with the Province of Ontario. Our Ontario Corporation Number is 1899593.
Please contact us by telephone at (705) 750-0655 (office) or (705) 868-8825 (cell) or by e-mail at email@example.com for more information.
Your donation will help the Kawartha Komets fulfil our mandate of "Making Dreams Come True" for individuals who might never have a chance to play hockey otherwise. THANK YOU! All cheques should be made payable to KAWARTHA KOMETS.
You can also make a charitable donation to the Kawartha Komets and receive an official income tax receipt through Canada Helps by clicking here. Thank you for your support.